Tuesday 10 February 2015

2015 Reading Resolutions

I know it's a bit late into the year to be thinking about new years resolutions but I thought that I would write this post anyway as an incentive for me to stick to these goals.


My first resolution is to read 60 books this year and I have set my Goodreads challenge to this goal although I am praying that I will pass it. Last year, I think I managed to read 92 books, surpassing my Goodreads of 50 by miles (causing me to increase it a fair few times, finally up to 90) which I am so pleased with. However this year, I have a lot more school work that I unfortunately have to prioritise - what with coursework deadlines being terrifyingly soon, GCSE exams coming up in the next few months, as well starting my AS Levels at the end of this year - so reading that many books again this year doesm't really seem feasible, especially if I want to continue making time for blogging. 60 books still seems like its going to be quite a push considering how much I am struggling to make time already but I have a long summer break this year (about 12 weeks or so) so hopefully I can get in 20+ books during that time which will help massively.

This year, I am also aiming to complete the PopSugar 2015 Reading Challenge which, if you don't already know, is basically a list of 50 different reading-related challenges to complete in 2015. It seems like a really fun, motivating way to read and has some really interesting challenges - some of my favourite ones are: read a book with an antonym in the title; a book set somewhere you've always wanted to visit; a banned book. If you are interested you can find a list of all the challenges, some of the books that I am planning to read for them and my progress here.

Another one of my goals is to read at least 12 books from The BBC the Big Read. This is a list of 100 books to read before you die, as voted by the British public, and I started working my way through them last year (although luckily I had already read a few of them before I found the list). I'm not doing too badly but it is taking me a while and ideally I would have a few more crossed off - hopefully setting this as a goal will keep me motivated. You can view the list of books, as well as see my progress here.


I have so many unfinished series, as well as a lot of other books that I really want to read this year. For this reason, I have set myself the challenge to finish at least five series this year. I also want to take part in a lot more read-a-thons to motivate me to read, have fun and give me a chance to get around to all the books that are high up on my to-read list.





As my final reading resolution, I have set myself five books to complete this year. They are all books that I really want to read, and have for a while but have either simply never got round to or am slightly imitated by. The first book, and probably the one that I most want to read this year is A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. This book is huge meaning that it kind of terrifies me but I desperately want to read it because it just sounds so amazing as I am sure you know... and because I want to watch the TV show but feel like I should read it first. I also really want to read The Book Thief by Markus Zusack, one that has been on my must-read list for what feels like forever; The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson simply because it sounds amazing and has had soo much hype; Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler because it is a book that I have wanted to read for so long (I actually think it is one of the first books I ever added to my Amazon wish list and yet I still haven't got round to it...why do I do this?!); and finally Emma by Jane Austen because.. well, it's Jane Austen - how could I not read at least one of her books this year.

I hope you enjoyed this post regardless of the fact that it's sort of a scrambling, rambling mess and long overdue. What are your reading resolutions for 2015?

Love Ellen xxx



Find me on....
Instagram: @ramblingsofabibliophile


No comments:

Post a Comment